Sunday, May 9, 2010

The Experience Project - Social Networking Site

I selected a site from the Wikipedia list. First, I thought it was a very long list and probably not inclusive of all of the sites available. I selected the Experience Project.

Log in was simple, provide a user name and email address. The only other brief questions were age group and sex (male/female). Once you provide those details, you are taken to a menu to invite friends. I skipped that section. The next section is a list of random groups you might want to “join” or track. I selected two:
I like helping people
I like watching documentaries.

Then you are put onto a main page that shows random posts from various groups. The groups were fairly benign, then in the group titled “I am a ____ ask me a question” was a post from someone who titled their post “I am a pervert, ask me a question.” The anonymous author then describes they are a ninth grader in Canada and into “pretty weird things…”

I find that interesting because as much as I believe the intention of the site is altruistic, there are always strange people “out there” and they show up on all kinds of sites. There were three comments to the post, each asking “what do you mean by weird?” Then, in tiny printing, the site posts: “Experience Project is a community based on authenticity, support, and respect. EP encourages you to post with these values in mind.” Interesting!

There are thousands of groups from entertainment to pets. I’m sure there are people who find some good advice or at least can relate to someone with the same experiences. It will be fun to look around at the various posts.

Check it out at www.experienceproject.com

2 comments:

  1. So were the posters simply curious and protective or just the opposite, trolling and dangerous? Tough call.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's hard to tell. I didn't investigate too much. I believe most of them are just trying to be folks trolling for responses but harmless. For example, one of them had comments back, but no comments from the original author.

    ReplyDelete